Friday, April 20, 2007

What the ..?

What is it that I miss most about my motherland,ever since I landed in Germany ??
Nope,its not rasam,sambar,vaazhakkaa poriyal or sun tv's "indhiya tholaikaatchiyil mudhal muraiyaaga ,thiraikku vanthu sila maathangaley aana" dabba movies..its English !
God,how is it humanely possible for a well-developed country to survive without English ? Beats me! Perhaps I feel that way,since in India,knowing English is supposedly the mark of being "highly educated" .But here,I feel like an absolute illiterate.Everytime someone starts to speak German,as a general rule,I keep an absolutely stupid dumbfounded look on my face,and the other person finally asks "English?" .Then I vigorously nod my head and they look at me with so much sympathy.jeez..since when did knowing English become that degrading ?
Worse,they dont seem to understand our English.
Once,my husband had called the receptionist from our room to ask for a shower cap.he simply said "i need a shower cap".And that guy had the audacity to reply "Sorry,can you speak in English ?I dont understand Indian." . I wonder whether he didnt understand the word "shower cap" or whether our way or pronouncing shower cap is so "Indian".
Anyways,looks like The Almighty has sent me to learn one big lesson ."Never take anything for granted in life ,even English."

Labels:

 
posted by Couch Potato at 4/20/2007 02:38:00 PM, |

4 Comments:

have u joined DMK or what? Pls change the color. It is very tough to read.

And then regarding the post. I feel happy that you let to know the world that english is not everything, it is just another lang. Peterism konjam kuriyamnu ethirparkkalam ? hehe....

But i heard germans konjam over thaan irupanga...kandukatheenga. Hope there is lot of german ramadoss there :)

B/w its a great narration. Able to sense your position there :)
my next post is going to be on this line...the adv of landing in a land where u dont know the local lang :)
Okie Sami,color change right now ;-)aana template nalla irunthathu ,athaan potten.
Worst thing here is ,in supermarkets,on all products ,things are written in German..enna vaangaromney theriyaama vaangrom..thank god on dog biscuit packets they put dog picture !
this template is good... :)